Summary: this post describes how to install a new clutch pedal return spring for a Ford Focus 2005. Horrible job, but doable, and saves you approx. 80€ (in Finland).
- Buy a new spring from your Ford dealer, should be around 5€.
- Buy some washers that have approx. the same diameter as the spring (~1cm).
- Fit approx. 23 washers to each coil (on both sides) of the spring, to stretch it.
- Move the driver’s seat to its rearmost position to improve working conditions.
- Lift the steering wheel column to its upmost position to improve working conditions.
- Grab a flashlight, lay on your back, place your head next to the pedals and look up. Twist your arm to an akward position to be able to work.
- Fit the shorter hook of the spring to the metal plate on the chassis behind the pedal. The hole is barely visible. See rightmost arrow in Picture 2.
- Fit the longer hook of the spring to the top of the pedal (it has a small notch to keep the hook in place). See leftmost arrow in Picture 2.
- Depress the clutch pedal all the way down to remove the washers, then pull/push out any remaining ones that did not fall off.
Picture 1: Spring with washers (some have already fallen off at this point):
Picture 2: Spring hooks in place (longer hook on the left, shorter hook on the right):
Picture 3: Finished (with washers removed):